CoryFarley.com

Cory Farley, voted "Best of Reno" 26 times in 27 years by readers of his column in the Reno Gazette-Journal, takes an unconventional look at topics from presidential elections to the best way to cook Brussels sprouts.

Name:
Location: Verdi, Nev, United States

Friday, March 07, 2008

Hillary does what 16 years of GOP conniving couldn't

I'll admit it: In about a week, Hillary Clinton has done something the entire Republican slime machine, our time's finest-honed instrument of character assassination if you don't count Rush Limbaugh, was not able to do in the best part of two decades.
She turned me against Hillary Clinton.
I wasn't what you could call a Hillary zealot. John Edwards would have been my first-choice Democrat, followed by Bill Richardson, Barack Obama and then Clinton.
Primary voters saw things differently (no problem; I'm used to it), and it came down to Obama vs. Clinton. I caucused for Barack on the theory that he was more likely to bring "change," whatever that means these days, than the ultimately-wired former first lady. Really, though, the thrill of seeing so many Hill-haters unhappy nearly won me over, and I would have been OK if she'd won.
Then she turned on the very people she needs for her victory. At a time when Democrats are justly furious and disgusted with George Bush and most of his party, Clinton ranked the presidential candidates in this order: Herself, Republican windsock John McCain, and then her Democratic opponent. You can find it on YouTube.
Me and her, as Grandpa used to say, are quits. I'll still vote for her in November if she gets the nomination, because a McCain presidency is just unthinkable. It would be like something out of a movie about a bleak future world, with hundreds of billions of dollars going for "defense" (read "aggression"), pennies for education and no concern at all for the environment.
Otherwise, though, zip. My campaign contributions don't amount to much in the overall context, but they're not going to Clinton.

12 Comments:

Blogger DrSparks said...

When Hillary speaks, she reminds me of Bob Dole (when he was running for President, not later when he developed a mild sense of humor).

And Barack, he sounds sort of like Bill Clinton (when HE was running for President, not like he sounds now).

10:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was going to say, instead of Windsock McCain, you might have said Windbag McCain. But alas, I think Hillary has the nomination for 2008 windbag sewn up.

I will say this, for me 08 is the Disfunctional Dem's last chance to get in there and get some of the needs of this country solved. I'm already about to go spinning off into the stratosphere of the radical fringe and if the Dems to somehow manage to get a Republican elected for another 4 years, I'll be signing on for some alternative party--we'll have 4 years to get someone on the ballots in all 50 states, to start building a party infrastructure. And in these days when everything is changing because of the internet, we can probably get 'er done.

If it looks like McCain is gonna win, and Hillary is the Dems candidate, my choice will be one old windbag or another old windbag. For the first time in my 56 years (been voting since 72) I will be sitting this one out.

I am not a happy camper--maybe I'll start a 'Write In John Edwards' protest vote!

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, Hillary. She's a real winner. Not!

11:29 PM  
Blogger tuzoner said...

I don't give either time or money to political scumbags. It's like throwing money into a black hole. They suck it all up but nothing ever good seems to come of it.

I don't even have a reason to vote.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Darcie said...

As a teacher who is feeling that 'No Child Left Behind" is the worst package ever forced on education, and is at the root of our 50% and climbing high school drop-out rate, I am voting for Hilary who promises to dismantle this testing based vehicle that removes the joy from learning.

Both McCain and Obama want to fund NCLB and thus simply continue our broken system of public education.

While education concerns are at the top of my list, I also feel that Hilary has the experience and the connections to world leaders that could help us improve our global image.

Everyone has faults. But overall, I think Hilary has what it takes.

9:05 AM  
Blogger up88 said...

Darcie has a point re: NCLB.
Even Hillary and her influence peddling, not-so-silent partner can accomplish much with a change of players in the administration.
Yet... the possibility still remains... we may be able to mark a ballot without simultaneously holding our noses!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Guardian Alliance said...

The Ultimate Betrayal.

I agree with everything Mr. Farley writes, until the end of the blog where he says he will vote for Hillary if it comes to that. Why reward her with a vote when her ambition for ultimate power has clouded her judgement?

Ms. Clinton's recent smear tactics against Mr. Obama come direct from the Karl Rove playbook of political destruction. She has used fear mongering, belittlement and has raised questions about whether Mr. Obama is a muslim or not.

This is shameful conduct and should indicate what kind of president she would make if elected. Many leading Democrats have denounced her campaign;
including Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, Gary Hart and Bill Bradley.

Here's an idea: Suppose the Democratic convention is hopelessly deadlocked with no candidate giving an inch, thus threatening the chances of a November win against McCain? In comes John Edwards, offering a party that can be unified. Stranger things have happened.

9:22 AM  
Blogger kathy89503 said...

Could you please provide us with documentation for Hilary's endorsement?

6:25 PM  
Blogger nopastels said...

After hearing what Geraldine Ferraro came out saying today on behalf of Hillary I would never consider voting for her.

I have been supporting Barack but had considered voting for Hillary if she won, now I will reconsider that thought.

Wish this were over!!

6:42 PM  
Blogger EidolaC said...

I was hoping that the campaign would be a bit nicer this time but its heating up for the mud fight as usual so I am staying with my usual new sources, you and my sister.
EicolC

12:12 PM  
Blogger wally & lisa said...

Hillary will most likely be the one to divide the democratic party bad enough to lose, beacuse of her "win at all cost attitude". Bill Richardson would have made a great president, but he bowed out, so I rooting for Obama. Lets just hope the dems don't polarize the dems as the GOP has polarized the rest of the country.

And by the way, Hillary is spelled with 2 l's

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot handle all of these comments about "not having a reason to vote." Dislike for a candidate is as good a reason as any! When we have a Bush III administration, you will have no one to thank but yourself.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home