CoryFarley.com

Cory Farley, voted "Best of Reno" 26 times in 27 years by readers of his column in the Reno Gazette-Journal, takes an unconventional look at topics from presidential elections to the best way to cook Brussels sprouts.

Name:
Location: Verdi, Nev, United States

Friday, March 21, 2008

Off the deep end again, at 1270 on your AM dial

One of the things that happens when you get old (I hear...) is that you get afraid to try new things.
It's nonsense, of course, Just the other day I ate my french fries without adding salt, a culinary adventure many people half my age haven't experienced. Later this afternoon, I may try napping in the Big Chair instead of on the couch. Life is to be lived.
Still, I'm a little apprehensive about what I apparently have to regard as What's Left Of My Career: Starting Monday, I'll be on the radio.
Regularly, I mean. I've done radio many times, but nearly always with someone to fall back on. When you're the guest, and all you can think of to say is, "Uh...," it's not your fault. When you're the person after whom the show is named, "Uh" won't carry you very far.
As of 10 a.m. Monday, that will be me, on KBZZ, 1270 AM.
Panama, aka "The Franchise," will move from his present 9-to-noon slot to 6 to 10 a.m. I'll take the 10-to-noon period, then Don and Mike will pick up at their normal time.
This is, in some ways, extremely cool. I love radio, and was a Radio-TV major my first two years in college. When I got home from Vietnam and went back to school, I switched to print, for reasons I've been trying for several years to recall. So when The Buzz asked if I was interested, I had to say yes.
Sounded like a good idea at the time. But I've been hanging out in the studio with Panama for a few days to learn how it's done, and it's like juggling cats.
When I was doing television commentary, I found that I could sound smart or look good, but not at the same time. When I focused on what I was saying, my tie curled up like Dilbert's and my glasses fell off. When I was perfectly groomed and turned out, I talked like Yosemite Sam.
I looked forward to radio for several reasons, but a big one was that you don't have to dress up. Half the people you hear on the air aren't even wearing pants (which is also true of TV news anchors, by the way. That's why the sets have solid fronts, so you can't see Brent Boynton's skivvies).
Turns out, though, that radio is another area in which you can't be proficient without, you know, actually being good at it. Like I needed another one of those.
To be honest, I'm not that eager for an audience until I begin to figure this thing out. My understanding, though, is that radio station owners prefer it when people actually listen to their employees. so check me out, 10 to noon starting Monday at 1270 AM. No passing judgment, though, until I learn how to work the phones.

20 Comments:

Blogger cjackgo said...

It will be hard to tear myself away from Rush, but I'll try.

3:54 PM  
Blogger sabjoro said...

Alas I'll be working and the work radio won't pick up AM. I do wish you luck, but I also know you won't need it.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry, but Neal Conan comes first for me in that time slot. Oh well, maybe some other time....

10:23 PM  
Blogger The Backyard Traveler said...

Will the show be broadcast online? Would love to listen.

11:09 AM  
Blogger nopastels said...

Congrats!! I am glad that Panama moved earlier so the insufferable "Mancow" won't be around. I have listened to Don and Mike for years and love their humor, irrevelent as it is. I have been listening KJFK 1230 in the mornings as well, particularly Stephanie Miller, her show is funny as well.

I enjoy reading articles by your son, good job.

Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

LouiseS

3:55 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I'll be at work. I listen to most radio by podcast - hope they'll make that venue an option.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Dave Mencarelli said...

I hope your producer can handle his stuff!

And, like, sabjoro wrote, I'd wish you luck if I thought you needed it, but you won't.

Like you said, you can always blame me. :)

9:43 AM  
Blogger Don said...

Listening to your radio show as I type ... I am impressed! No Bush-Bashing ... who'da guessed. You come across as a "fair and balanced" professional ... and we thought you were a card-carrying liberal all these years. I'll be tuning in again.

Please have a discussion about "PROFIT" vs. "PROFIT MARGIN" as it pertains to Exxon-Mobil.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Steve Hyatt said...

Cory,

I loved your first day on the Buzz. You are a natural. It was lively, fun and informative. This is your calling. I am now officially an Obamacan and a Farley Groupy!

The Czar

2:21 PM  
Blogger jerhig said...

You know why they put you against Rush? The other guy wasn't moving the ratings. It's on your back Cory but don't worry. It's only radio!

10:05 PM  
Blogger rosebud said...

i was out of town 2 weeks ago, but tonight i suffered through the ass clown show on news? no. then, i re-read your blogmercial for your radio show and noticed the part about about back when you were doing television commentary. apparently, your television commentary services are not any longer required. any comment?

7:24 PM  
Blogger Bob Custer Wilkie said...

Good show, Cory-but imo don't be too balanced, and don't talk long to the people who get repeatative and are boring. You had a gun nut on today whose arguments were weak, and you handled him with kid gloves.
It was like he had his NRA Bible and was reading their specious arguments
for the right to carry an AK-47,
Here is an update:
ttp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080327/ap_on_re_us/ak47s

9:23 PM  
Blogger rfbulle said...

Is it any way possible KBZZ (your show in particular) be streamed over the internet?

5:54 AM  
Blogger mindervillain said...

Just want to add a "second" to RFBULLE's suggestion. Your on at a perfect time for me to listen while I'm on the computer, but I can't get 1270 down here in Gardnerville.

I naively thought all radio stations streamed on the internet nowadays, but apparently KBZZ does not.

10:45 AM  
Blogger sabjoro said...

I know that working 5 days a week takes up a lot of time, however, I would like to know how you are doing on your new radio program since I am not able to listen in. Any impressions you are willing to divulge on having a talk radio show: the mentality of the listening audience, your mental state after hosting, etc., would be appreciated.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cory,I check your blog nearly every day, but nothing since May 1!

The radio show is an inconvenient
time, but if you did a short recap
of items of interest on the blog,
lots of us would read it.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cory,
Please update your blog. The radio
show is at an inconvenient time.

8:44 AM  
Blogger ballafish said...

The Big Lie. As an average 64 year old guy I have been listening to republican propaganda my hole life. After a while I might even thing for a minute or two that they do a better job on fiscal responsibility after all that is the pitch they have been cramming down out throats since I was born. I did a little research you might want to pass this on to your listeners.
http://home.adelphi.edu/sbloch/deficits.html

9:27 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Go suck a dick Cory your a Liberal fag, Go suck Harry Rieds dick. Your a disgrace to this country.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Liked your last article in the RGJ Sunday.....
I agree about the growing gap in wealth/status here in the US. Both my kids are college grads going no where it seems....Low wages with very little prospects...I did fairly well going into business 30 yrs ago and tell them to do the same but their lives seem to be so much harder than mine was so long ago....I'm at a loss to help them

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home