CoryFarley.com

Cory Farley, voted "Best of Reno" 26 times in 27 years by readers of his column in the Reno Gazette-Journal, takes an unconventional look at topics from presidential elections to the best way to cook Brussels sprouts.

Name:
Location: Verdi, Nev, United States

Monday, April 14, 2008

Johnny Mink leaves radio, I'll struggle on awhile

David Giovanni Mencarelli, perhaps spurred to greater achievement by my giving him the greatest nickname in radio history on Monday, has quit at KBZZ.
"Johnny Mink's" departure reduces the head count at The Cory Farley Show by half, the talent level by two-thirds and the experience level by four years. Which leaves, uh, me, a veteran of three weeks and one day on the air.
It would be pretentious to talk about Dave's "contribution" to a show that's not as old as the yogurt in your refrigerator. Still, I'll miss him, and I think listeners will, too. He was the Other Voice that stepped in when I stalled out, providing counterpoint and comment when I had none. Radio made me nervous at first--still does, a little--but I wasn't halfway through my first day before I realized Dave would step up if I bogged down. I could throw him any kind of line ("Dave, what's your position on ketchup?"), and he'd come back with something that moved things along. He was also a regular on The Panama Show from 6 to 10 a.m. , and I know they'll miss him there.
Regular readers and listeners (by which I mean, "the four people who both read this blog and listen to KBZZ") will be curious about what happened, but I'm not the guy to ask. Some of it goes back to before I went to work for the station, and Dave says it has nothing to do with me.
I hope not: I like him and enjoyed working with him. When the Johnny Mink Special comes on Comedy Central next year, I'll try to get him back on the radio.
Meanwhile, The Cory Farley Show will continue. I'm assured somebody will be there Tuesday to answer phones and push buttons, and The Boss says he's "got some interesting ideas" for the longer term. My personal long-term plan hasn't changed: I'll do it as long as it's fun. So far, it is. But less so, I suspect, without Dave.
Did I mention it's on The Buzz, 1270AM, from 10 a.m. to noon? Did I mention you can call 823-1920 and talk on the radio where millions can hear? I mean, not that millions will, but they could. Tomorrow's guest (Tuesday) will be Tom Jacobs from the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles, and Wednesday's will be Beryl Love, executive editor of the Reno Gazette-Journal. Both have agreed to take questions from callers.

8 Comments:

Blogger sabjoro said...

Your situation sucks.

If Johnny Mink knew he wasn't going to be around in the middle of April why did he take the job to be your sidekick? Did he leave knowing you have gain enough experience to handle the show on your own? I know you are the wrong person to ask but I hope some of your more informed listener/readers may know.

Will you be getting a new sidekick? Now is the time to put out the word. I would apply but I don't think you need a ranter as your foil. I'll just go on and on until Mickey's hands are straight up or you take a pair of scissors to the mic cord.

Sad to say I haven't heard your radio program and probably won't unless I end up at home sick or the vacation days kick in.

Finally, don't struggle on awhile. Stand up straight, march into the studio and do what you do best.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Dave Mencarelli said...

Hey Sab,

His situation HARDLY sucks. Cory is like the Roy Hobbs of radio and his show will be no less entertaining and informative sans Johnny Mink (I think with a name like that it's almost criminal if I DON'T refer to myself in the third person).

I'd advocate the taking of your vacation ASAP and tuning in.

7:04 AM  
Blogger sabjoro said...

Dave, the situation sucks because Cory is on a brand new job for less than a month, one that he hasn't done before (as far as I know) and now he doesn't have anyone to help him get the right caller on the line at the same time he has keep his audience informed and/or entertained and look up information (as you did when you supplied Cory with details of a story he didn't have before going on the air).

How much experience did Roy Hobbs have as a radio talk show host before he went solo? Probably more than 3 weeks.

As I said before, Cory will persevere. I just don't want him to become so bogged down with trying to do everything, by himself, things that doesn't come naturally to him due to his lack of experience at being a radio talk show host he may consider another career before I have a chance to listen in one day.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

He's still got a guy to answer phones and help with the show. :)

The radio station isn't so cheap that they won't replace me. lol.

Hope you get a chance to tune in soon!

5:42 PM  
Blogger TCLARKE said...

Been a reader of yours since RGJ. Caught your radio show yesterday and thought you were very good! Nice voice.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Bob Custer Wilkie said...

Corey,
You are doing fine-and you sound more
contentious on your own.
You go out of your way to be courteous, which is a good thing, but imo it's fine to really go after the redneck when they call in...
I wanted you to ask Beryl-
WHY did the RGJ run Marv Texiera's police mug shot when he announced he was not running for mayor again...That was a bush league move...I am sure teh RGJ had many good photos of Marv they could have used instead...

9:40 PM  
Blogger Perfumes said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Perfume, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://perfumes-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Munin said...

It is always sad to hear about people we get used to suddenly leaves or walks away, but it helps to think that someone new would come along, though not the same skills but would be entertaining as well.

You might be interested in the Young Entrepreneur Society from the www.YoungEntrepreneurSociety.com. A great documentary about successful entrepreneurs.

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home