CoryFarley.com

Cory Farley, voted "Best of Reno" 26 times in 27 years by readers of his column in the Reno Gazette-Journal, takes an unconventional look at topics from presidential elections to the best way to cook Brussels sprouts.

Name:
Location: Verdi, Nev, United States

Sunday, April 27, 2008

That's "gloat," with a capital G.

Not much time today--I'll do more on this on the radio Monday, if I have time--but in case you missed it, I just want to point out that there's general agreement the Republican convention at the Peppermill this weekend ended in chaos.
Of course it's only the state convention, and nobody at the national level takes Nevada very seriously. Still, after all those years of watching the GOP's Stepford voters march in lockstep, it was really, really enjoyable to see them whacking at each other, and over such a lame disagreement: Ron Paul is a non-starter, his tax plan is laugh-out-loud unworkable, and most of the Paul supporters I've talked to have a faraway look, like they're waiting for instructions from the Mother Ship. In the long run, what happened this weekend won't matter: John "The Third Bush" McCain will be the Republican nominee, and I'm increasingly fearful he's going to be elected president. As John Stewart pointed out a couple of months ago, "Voters say they want change, but when it's time to vote, they may decide that a 71-year-ikd white guy is all the change they need."
But while I can enjoy the sight of Republicans in disarray, I'm going to do it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is frightening to think that the Bush years may continue.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Vigilante said...

What I like is that Ron Paul knows how to stand up to the brass.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just got earthquake insurance. Five hundred extra a year (almost doubled my homeowners insurance) with a $30,000 deductible. Ouch! What a racket.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Bob Custer Wilkie said...

Go Cory....Glad to see us Democrats gloat a bit...Personally I think McCain, Clinton or Obama would all be a big improvement to Dubya..One thing McCain did last week-he praised Lyndon Johnson's Great Society, and shelled Dubya Bush over the Katrina "response" team...

2:20 PM  
Blogger mindenbelle said...

Nice to find you again, Cory. My daughter and her boyfriend were at the State Republican convention on Sat. They were part of the Ron Paul group. (I know, I know how you feel about them.) They stopped by our house Sat. night to report on the mass exodus of the politics-as-usual faction. They were stunned by the actions of the mainstream Repubs. I am incidentally not of the same persuasion politically as my daughter and her boyfriend, who both claim they will be voting for Obama if Ron Paul is not a viable candidate, assuming Obama is our candidate, that is. I just started listening to your radio program this week after Googling you on Monday morning and learning of your RGJ departure, your dabbling in TV, and your blogspot. Great radio show! Now I have to choose between you and The X when I'm in the car running to the gym or running errands. But you win out for those two hours. On another subject, does Terri use Terri Farley for her books?

8:51 AM  
Blogger S Reno Guy said...

Go Cory....Glad to see us Democrats gloat a bit...Personally I think McCain, Clinton or Obama would all be a big improvement to Dubya..One thing McCain did last week-he praised Lyndon Johnson's Great Society

Really.?.?.? "Glad to see us Deomcrats gloat a bit...". That scares me that even Democrats want to GLOAT about what our country is going through right now. I am not a Republican, but Democrats scare me just as much. So "Random Nevada", are you gloating now???
I will give Cory credit, he has conviced people that his OPINIONS are the goespel, but call into his show and see how what is he wants to take your call. It is hard to listen to someone that develops his opinions after he reads all of the papers in the morning from his favorite cities.
Good job Cory, way to be a band wagon...err, I mean,a self procalimed educated leader. You should really think about what you say before you type or speak it.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home